48 Hours of death and mayhem on bloody NZ roads
At least 5 people were killed and about 2 dozen others seriously injured since Saturday night
Fatal Crash in Bay of Plenty of Deaths (Monday)
SH5 southeast of Tirau, between SH1 and the SH28 intersection, has been closed as emergency services deal with a fatal crash, reported at 4.51p.m. involving a car and a pedestrian, said to be a child.
One killed in crash near Lake Pukaki (Canterbury)
One person was killed and two others are being flown to hospital after a car rolled “several times” in Canterbury at 4.30pm Monday on State Highway 8, near Lake Pukaki (Canterbury), said Acting Senior Sergeant Ayson Williams.
Fatal Motor Incident, Mt Taranaki
At about 5.28pm on Sunday, a 30 year old female was involved in a motor vehicle accident near the sky field car park on Mt Taranaki.The victim was flown to Taranaki base hospital by the rescue helicopter but died as a result of her injuries on route.
Two other fatal crashes in Christchurch within 24 hours
A 44 year old woman lost her life as a result a deadly crash in Christchurch CBD at about 10.54pm on Saturday. http://www.police.govt.nz/news/updates/39040
One dead, two injured after crash in Christchurch CBD
Second fatal crash in Christchurch
A second fatal crash occurred in Christchurch at around 8pm last night (4 October 2015) involving a car and a bus at the intersection of Kilmore St and Columbo St.
Eleven injured in three-car crash: ‘It’s horrible’
Truck driver in critical condition after steel beam fall
A 50-year-old male truck driver was critically injured after he was hit by a steel beam at Perry Metal Protection company in Te Rapa on Manchester Street, Hamilton.
Additional information about some of the earlier fatalities and serious injuries that occurred on New Zealand Death Roads
In 2011, David Henry Morris was killed in a two-vehicle collision and his son, Myles David Morris, who was driving their car, was taken to Dunedin Hospital with abdominal injuries. Driver of the second vehicle, Mathias Mandlmeier, a German tourist, also sustained injuries. Mandlmeier’s girlfriend, Kerstin Fromert, 31, died on the way to Greymouth Hospital.
The collision happened on December 28, 2011 on State Highway 6, near Lake Moeraki in South Westland.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/6237068/Tourist-admits-killing-two-in-Coast-crash (2011 German tourist)
TOURIST DRIVER INCIDENTS 2014 (NZ Herald):
[Faulty vehicles, especially the rental cars, may have been responsible for most if not all of the fatal crashes listed below. Moderator B.]
• October 3, 2014: A Singapore Airlines pilot admitted causing a high-speed crash that left a colleague fighting for his life in hospital. (Not known what happened to the victim.)
• September 30: Hong Kong resident King Wai Yip was killed when her family’s rental car collided with a Mercedes-Benz sedan near Geraldine, Canterbury.
• June 23: Dutch tourist Johannes Jacobus Appelman pleaded guilty to a triple fatality collision after running a stop sign in Rakaia in a rental vehicle on Queen’s Birthday weekend.
• May 30: US tourist Cody Dickey crossed the centre line in his campervan on the Coromandel Peninsula, killing Aucklander Robyn Eilleen Derrick, a passenger in an oncoming four-wheel-drive.
• February 11: French tourist Gilles Georges Jego killed a female pillion motorcycle passenger in the Far North when he was driving on the wrong side of the road.
• February 9: An 18-year-old pregnant woman was seriously injured and lost her unborn child in Whangarei after 27-year-old French tourist Marion Laure Heurteboust drove on the wrong side of the road.
• February 4: Canadian tourist Uri Tak Kau Law drowned after crashing over the side of a Southland bridge.
[In 2014, like every year, hundreds of overseas visitors and kiwis were killed and many hundreds of others seriously injured in crashes that are NOT caused by tourist drivers.]