New Zealand Poisoning Syndrome (NZPS), Health Bulletin # 8
Posted by feww on April 4, 2008
[New Zealand Poisoning Syndrome (NZPS), Health Bulletin # 8. Outbreak of Salmonella Mbandaka, April 4, 2008]
An outbreak of a rare strain of salmonella is spreading throughout New Zealand.
The salmonella mbandaka outbreak has claimed 28 reported cases, 10 in the Nelson Marlborough district. A woman infected with salmonella mbandaka recently died in Nelson; however, the date of her death has not been reveled. The New Zealand Government has also failed to disclose the timeline of the outbreak.
According to the director of public health, the cause of outbreak is unknown. The salmonella bacteria usually live in the gut of domestic and wild animals, including poultry, pigs, cattle and pets.
Symptoms included diarrhea, stomach cramps, fever, nausea, vomiting and headache.
Risk factors in New Zealand include contact with farm animals and pets, food prepared in unsanitary conditions (the highest risk), drinking contaminated water and overseas travel during the incubation period. Contact with recreational water and infected persons, though less commonly reported, pose a risk. Report
If you must travel to New Zealand AVOID
- Coming into contact with pets and farm animals (and people with pets and farm animals)
- Swimming in untreated water
- Consuming meat products
- Drinking tap water
For people outside New Zealand:
- Avoid coming into contact with people traveling from New Zealand
- Do not consume food products imported from New Zealand
Previous New Zealand Poisoning Syndrome (NZPS), Health Bulletins:
- Health Bulletin # 7. Don’t Take Your Children To New Zealand ( March 27, 2008 )
- Health Bulletin # 6. New Zealand Emergency Health Warnings: Toxic Honey Poisoning
- Health Bulletin # 5. Food infected with Listeria, March 8, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 4. Sewage contaminated beaches, Feb. 16, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 3. Toxic blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), Feb. 13, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 2. Exposure to Compound 1080 Feb. 10, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 1. Exposure to Bromoethane Feb. 6, 2008
- Truth About ‘100% Pure New Zealand’
- The Poisoning of New Zealand
- Hermaphrodite Lamb Born With Seven Legs
- Toxic Sludge
- Toxic Country – Diseased Food
- NZ indiscriminate aerial applications of the potent poison 1080
For further information visit CDC Salmonella Infection (Salmonellosis)