How Dangerous is New Zealand for visitors, Asians, women, children?
Posted by te2ataria on June 21, 2008
New Zealand cities are among the most violent places in the world.
– You are 7 times more likely to be killed in New Zealand than in Australia
– You are 4 times more likely to be killed on NZ roads than on Russia’s (allegedly the worst in europe)
– New Zealand is a pretty dangerous place for visitors, Asians, women and children. For detailed news and analysis, check out the content of this site.
– See Also
“The following excerpts are from Crime city Christchurch too scary for women
Crime city Christchurch too scary for women
By IAN STEWARD – The Press | Saturday, 21 June 2008
“Rising violent crime has made more than two-thirds of Christchurch women more fearful for their safety than they were five years ago, a new study of attitudes toward crime shows.
“With violent crime rates increasing in the city and several recent high-profile cases in which women were victimized, 71 per cent of women said they felt less safe than they did in 2003.
“The study, commissioned by The Press for its Eye on Crime series which starts today, paints a picture of people living in fear of crime that is perceived as growing in seriousness and volume. …
“Of female respondents, 38 per cent said they felt ‘a lot less safe’ and 33 per cent said they felt “a little less safe” than they did in 2003. The rest said they felt about the same as they did five years ago, while none said they felt safer. …
“‘There is a perception of people being frightened for their own personal safety. We’ve had women in their 50s, confident businesswomen, who would not go into town on their own at night. There is a real awareness of street violence out there.'”
“Herbert said there was ‘quite a marked increase’ in the severity of violence towards women.”
Unfortunately, the report “weaselwords” its way through statistics and stops short of providing detailed analysis of the level of violence in New Zealand and the crimes which are mostly committed against foreign visitors, Asians and other minorities. Further, the report limits its “findings” to Christchurch and leaves out other major violent cities like Auckland and Wellington.
New Zealand cities are among the most violent places in the world. The following links would provide a clearer picture of the level of violence in New Zealand:
- Woman’s nose broken for a dare by teen
- Another Open Letter to New Zealand PM
- Forget terrorists – it’s the secret police the public needs to fear
- Truth About ‘100% Pure New Zealand’
- The Poisoning of New Zealand
- Hermaphrodite Lamb Born With Seven Legs
- Toxic Sludge
- Toxic Country – Diseased Food
- NZ indiscriminate aerial applications of the potent poison 1080
- Another Tourist Killed in New Zealand
- One in 10 Kiwis Wants Out
- Update: Irish Tourist Mugged and Battered
- Tourist couple kidnapped at gunpoint, robbed, woman raped, husband assaulted .
- Men guilty of kidnapping tourist
- Tourist abducted and robbed
- Backpacker rapist sentenced to 7 years
- German Tourist’s Murder was Preventable
- English tourist’s campervan set on fire in the carpark
- The two kidnappers who beat and raped the Dutch tourist only get 10 and 6 years
- Father urges New Zealand pilot to face music over tourist’s death
- You Want to Work in New Zealand?
- Truth About ‘100% Pure New Zealand’ Advertising Campaign
- Stop New Zealand Committing Eco-Terrorism!
- Assault victim tells of terrifying ordeal
- Increased violence in NZ: What are the tourists coming here for?
- New Zealand Tourism Claims More Victims
- “Lousy NZ drivers blamed for high death toll”
- New Zealand: A Tourist Deathtrap
- South American tourists were beaten and robbed
- An Open Letter to New Zealand Prime Minister
Visit New Zealand! Experience the unique feeling of leaving the country in a body bag.
A Tourist Deathtrap!
Welcome to New Zealand!
And will you be playing New Zealand Roulette, or have you booked other games?
[Note: NZ government agencies have declined to provide the relevant stats on the numbers of assaults and murders of foreigners.]
A 25-year-old Korean national was killed on NZ State Highway 2
Two Koreans were injured in tourist bus collision
Three tourists hurt in vicious Queenstown street attack: “It was a very serious assault,” police said. http://www.stuff.co.nz/4405769a11.html
Links to recent tourist fatalities in NZ:
New Zealand: A Tourist Deathtrap
Canadian Tourist Murdered?
Murdered in New Zealand in the Prime of Her Life
A 57-year-old American tourist fell to his death after missing unmarked “path” in Mt Cook
Roads claim nine lives during weekend
One person is dead and two seriously injured in a tourist bus collision yesterday.
Crash raises road toll to 11 for January
Tourist bus crashes with van, 1 dead.
Three female Korean tourists, aged 18, 19, and 34, had their right arms amputated after the crash. Another passenger suffered a fractured eye socket.
Eight Chinese tourists were taken to hospital, one with serious injuries.
West Coast bus crash injures 21 overseas tourists [with 10 receiving severe injuries such as fractured limbs.]
One tourist was killed and Eight others are in a critical condition after a head-on crash in Waikato. http://www.stuff.co.nz/4342236a11.html
22 foreign tourists run for their lives after their bus catches fire
A 46-year-old Malaysian woman was raped in Auckland
Previous Visitor Health Warnings for New Zealand:
- Health Bulletin # 12. Outbreak of Dangerous Group A Streptococcus Bacterium June 17, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 11. Outbreak of Staphylococcus Aureus, June 12, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 10. Outbreak of mystery bacterium, June 4, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 9. Outbreak of Viral Gastroenteritis, May 30, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 8. Outbreak of Salmonella Mbandaka, April 4, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 7. Don’t Take Your Children To New Zealand, March 27, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 6. New Zealand Emergency Health Warnings: Toxic Honey Poisoning March 22, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 5. Food infected with Listeria, March 8, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 4. Sewage contaminated beaches, Feb. 16, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 3. Toxic blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), Feb. 13, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 2. Exposure to Compound 1080 Feb. 10, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 1. Exposure to Bromoethane Feb. 6, 2008