Zombie Democracy – Apartheid Fort NZ

Welcome to the World's Deadliest Tourist Attraction – The Final Destination!

Lethal Coastal Waters Kill Deadly Fish!

Posted by te2ataria on August 19, 2009

Steer Clear of Deadly Fish on New Zealand Beaches

Poison from Dead Fish Piling Up on New Zealand Beaches Can Kill You in 60 minutes

Deadly fish washed up on New Zealand beaches have prompted health authorities to a warning the public to stay away.

deadly fish
Deadly fish have been found washed up on the Petone foreshore, prompting a warning to the public to steer clear of them.  Photo: PHIL REID/The Dominion Post. Image may be subject to copyright.

Large piles of deadly porcupine fish were spotted by a Wellington woman who was walking her dog on the beach yesterday morning. “I’ve been taking my dog out there for seven years, and I’ve never seen anything like it.”

The woman who also found a dead penguin, was so concerned she immediately left the area. “In the end I just got my dog and went home.”

The Dominion Post said their reporters had found more  dead porcupine fish on the beach.

Anyone spotting the poisonous porcupine fish washed up should keep away from them, A council spokeswoman said.

“Children and dogs should not be taken to the beach until the all-clear was given.” The Dominion Post reported the council as saying.

The species was closely related to puffer fish. They were common around the New Zealand coast, Te Papa fish collection manager Andrew Stewart said. “Like the puffers they are poisonous and should never be eaten or fed to pets.”

“Mass beach-casts like this can sometimes happen after a storm, or when a trawler has caught a netful and they’ve been dumped.”

“Early this month the death of a dog on an Auckland beach was attributed to tetrodotoxin, a poison found in tropical puffer fish and sea slugs.” DP reported.

“In May, the deaths of [thousands] of Ray’s bream and snapper on a 60-kilometre stretch of Kapiti Coast beach was linked to wild seas pushing the fish from their normal depth.”

NZ Beach poison will kill you in an hour

beach warning sign
The warning signs will not be removed until investigating agencies believe Auckland’s beaches are safe. Photo / Greg Bowker.  Photo: PHIL REID/The Dominion Post
Image may be subject to copyright.

“Touching a dead animal on the beach could be enough to endanger human life, said Cawthron Institute algae specialist Paul McNabb.” NZHerald earlier reported.

“People can die from this,” Mr McNabb said.

“If you put a slug in your mouth, you’d be vomiting and your entire body would be tingling.

“Within minutes you’d be paralysed. Your heart and lungs would shut down and you’d be dead within the hour.

“Or if you touched it and it was all over your hands and you went and ate a sandwich …”

Related Links:

 

5 Responses to “Lethal Coastal Waters Kill Deadly Fish!”

  1. […] Poison from Dead Fish Piling Up on New Zealand Beaches Can Kill You in 60 minutes […]

  2. te2ataria said

    First dog death at Coromandel beach
    5:42PM Thursday Oct 08, 2009
    A dog which died after visiting a Coromandel beach has tested positive to the same toxin believed to be responsible for the deaths of five dogs in Auckland.

    In the past few months, 10 dogs have fallen ill after ingesting Tetrodotoxin (TTX) in Auckland, which has been found in sea slugs on beaches there.

    The dog in the Coromandel had visited Tapu beach, on the west coast of the peninsula 18km north of Thames.

    Officials were urging people to take caution when visiting beaches on the west side of the peninsula.

    They also said:

    * Children and pets must be closely supervised at all times.

    * Children and pets should not eat things found on the beach.

    * Parents needed to be aware of where their children were and what they were handling.

    * People should not touch any sea life (dead or alive) found on the beach.

    * Sea slugs on any beach must be avoided.

    People were still being urged to take care in Auckland, particularly at the North Shore beaches of Narrow Neck and Cheltenham.

    TTX is a potent poison found in tropical puffer fish.

    Early symptoms of TTX poisoning in humans include nausea and numbness and tingling around the mouth.

    This could spread to the face, tongue and other areas, leading to paralysis and slurred speech.

    Medical attention should be sought for any person or animal who becomes ill after visiting a beach. – NZPA — Copyright 2009, APN Holdings NZ Limited

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10602063

  3. luke said

    im a fishermen kick dem rnd all the time allgud jus dnt eat or touch lol

  4. airwick said

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/4618508/New-Zealand-forest-ecosystem-crisis
    and now we find this out about the hawkers of the 100% Pure Clean and Green…

    snip
    New Zealand’s forest ecosystems are the second-most threatened in the world and house only 5 percent of their original habitat, according to an international report.
    In figures released by Conservation International, New Zealand’s forests are placed only behind Indo-Burma as the most at-risk forest ecosystem in the world.
    The world’s 10 most threatened forest regions have all lost at least 90 percent of their original habitat, and are home to at least 1500 plants which are not found anywhere else.
    New Zealand’s forests were home to 5 percent of its endemic species, Conservation International said.
    /snip

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.