Zapped over the holiday period
The following are the most recent [reported] roadkills, death by drowning, killed climbing… in New Zappedland:
Irishman Martin Cadden, 22, was killed in the crash on The Lake Rd, in Leeston, Canterbury, on Friday night (January 2). Martin came from Loughduff, County Cavan, in Ireland. His uncle is arriving from the US tomorrow to take his nephew home to family home. He was one of many who were killed on New Zapland roads during the summer (New Year) holiday period.
‘BEAUTIFUL ANGEL’: 22-year-old Tongan woman Lavi (Lovey) Taimani was the first to be killed on New Zealand roads in 2015
Death Toll [Reported deaths only]
- Jan 5: A man was killed when his vehicle hit a lamp post in Christchurch at 1.50am. [No name, possibly because he was a foreigner?]
- Jan 4: A person who was apparently thrown from the back of a utility vehicle onto rocks in Raglan 9 days ago on Boxing Day died in hospital. [No name, possibly because he was a foreigner?]
- Jan 3: Anthony Clifford Sparrow, 50, of Ashburton, was killed when his motorbike left the road on SH73.
- Jan 2: Garry Andrew Wendt, 68, from Ngaruawahia, was killed in Hamilton after a three vehicles crash.
- Jan 2: Irishman Martin Cadden, 22, was killed after his car hit a tree in Canterbury.Jan 1: Paul Ruben Kasper Kapica, 24, from Kerikeri, was killed after his vehicle rolled on Papamoa Beach, Bay of Plenty of Deaths.
- Jan 1: Lavi Taimani, 22, was killed after a car in which she was passenger smashed into a pole on Auckland’s Southern Motorway. The Onehunga woman died at the scene. RIP.
- Dec 31: A 50-year-old man was killed after his motorbike hit sand dunes at Port Waikato. [No name, possibly because he was a foreigner?]
- Dec 30: Chilyoung Kim and Young-Mo Sang, both 59, from Seoul, South Korea, were killed after their car crashed off a single-lane bridge in Westland.
- Dec 29: A 61-year-old woman was killed in a car collision with a truck on SH1 at Greta Valley in Canterbury. [No name, possibly becauses he was a foreigner?]
- Dec 28: Two were killed after a collision between a car and milk tanker in the Bay of Plenty of Deaths. [No names, possibly because they were foreign visitors?]
- Dec 28: A 56-year-old motorcyclist was killed in a crash near Hurunui. [No name, possibly because he was a foreigner?]
- Dec 27: Jamie Shane Webb, 25, was electrocuted after his car crashed into a power pole in Glentui, Canterbury.
- Dec 26: Kevin Keane of Timaru died after the rental car he was driving collided with another car in the Bay of Plenty.
- Dec 26: A Chinese student, Pengxiao Tao, 22, known as Jessica, was killed after her car and a campervan collided on the Athol Five Rivers Highway in Southland.
[A reliable list of the injured was unavailable, going to press. Moderator B.]
Killed on the Rocks
Meanwhile, the name of an Australian woman who was killed after sustaining head injuries in a fall on to rocks has been released.
Ashleigh Jade Dargusch, 23, of Queensland was walking with four friends in the Kauaeranga Valley in the southern Coromandel Peninsula when she fell at least five metres from the track, landing on her head, police said.
Other Deaths, Murders…
- The body of a man who was found dead in a Manawatu house has been removed and taken for a post-mortem examination, police said.
- Police are investigating the unexplained deaths of an elderly Ccotish couple who were found dead yesterday in their Brockville, Dunedin, home. The husband and wife, in their 80s, were from Scotland and had lived in the house for many years.
- The body of a man killed in a suspected homicide has been taken from a Woodville house for autopsy. Police called to the property, 25 kilometres east of Palmerston North, about 3pm on Sunday.
Holiday Water Deaths
Dec. 25 – Heng Li, 25, a Chinese student, died at Uretiti Beach in Northland.
Dec. 25 – Imogen Saleupolu-Mataafi, 1, drowned in a temporary pool in the backyard of her home in Manurewa.
Dec. 26 – Simon Camp, 47, died at Karioitahi Beach, 70km southwest of Auckland, while surfing.
Dec. 27 – Jarod Lineses, 16, was swept out to sea on Ninety Mile Beach at Hukatere in the Far North. His body was recovered on New Year’s Day.
Dec. 29 – Two deaths were reported:
- Terangi “Toots” Woonton, 59, and Kairangi Samuela, 53, died when their boat was swamped by a wave while crossing the Manukau Bar.
Jan. 1 – “Kris Wichman, 36, drowned in the Patea River near Taranaki on New Year’s Day, after rescuing his niece and two daughters from the water.”
Jan. 1 – Wayne August, 42, drowned at New Brighton beach in Christchurch on New Year’s Day.
Jan. 4 – “The police dive squad recovered the body of a Far North man who went missing near Hihi Beach on his boat on Saturday. Police believed there were no suspicious circumstances and said the man’s death would be referred to the coroner.”
Jan. 5 – An 11-year-old boy drowned in a river mouth at Waipu Beachin Northland.
- Related link: Proudly Killed in NZ
Since 2011, on average, 3 foreigners have been killed in New Zealand every 4 days.
At least 2,420 foreign students, tourists and new immigrants were Killed in NZ between January 2000 and February 2012 [About 15,000 others were seriously injured.]