Zombie Democracy – Apartheid Fort NZ

World's Top Tourist Deathtrap! [Chinese, low IQ migrants, peadophiles, Zimbabwe hitmen welcome!]

Urgent shellfish warning for Waikato west coast, Raglan Harbour

Posted by te2ataria on April 28, 2017

Shellfish biotoxin alert: Do NOT eat shellfish from Waikato west coast:

The warning includes Waikato River mouth (Port Waikato) southwards to Papanui Point which is just south of Raglan Harbour and Raglan Harbour.

The Ministry for Primary Industries  (MPI) has detected alarming levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning toxins in the area. They have warned that cooking shellfish does not remove the toxin.

Shellfish biotoxin alert – Waikato west coast

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) today issued a public health warning against collecting shellfish on the Waikato west coast due to Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxins being detected at levels of concern. The affected area includes the Waikato River mouth (Port Waikato) southwards to Papanui Point which is just south of Raglan Harbour. The warning includes Raglan Harbour.

Routine tests on shellfish samples taken from this region have shown levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxins above the safe limit (!) of 0.8 mg/kg set by MPI.  Anyone eating shellfish from this area is potentially at risk of illness.

See a map of the warning

Mussels, oysters, tuatua, pipi, toheroa, cockles, scallops, catseyes, kina (sea urchin) and all other bivalve shellfish should not be eaten.

Note: Cooking shellfish does not remove the toxin.

Pāua, crab and crayfish may still be eaten if the gut has been completely removed prior to cooking, as toxins accumulate in the gut. If the gut is not removed its contents could contaminate the meat during the cooking process.

Symptoms typically appear between 10 minutes and 3 hours after ingestion and may include:

  • numbness and a tingling (prickly feeling) around the mouth, face, and extremities (hands and feet)
  • difficulty swallowing or breathing
  • dizziness
  • headache
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • paralysis and respiratory failure and in severe cases, death.

If anyone becomes ill after eating shellfish from an area where a public health warning has been issued, phone Healthline for advice on 0800 61 11 16, or seek medical attention immediately. You are also advised to contact your nearest public health unit and keep any leftover shellfish in case it can be tested.

Monitoring of toxin levels will continue and any changes will be communicated accordingly. Commercially harvested shellfish – sold in shops and supermarkets, or exported – is subject to strict water and flesh monitoring programmes by MPI to ensure they are safe to eat.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s