Posted by te2ataria on December 26, 2010
“Megaquake” 68% Probable
New Zealand One of Three Regions Forecast for a Possible “Megaquake”
The Following Forecast Was Posted at FIRE-EARTH Blog on Xmas Day:
A megaquake could strike Vanuatu Region/ Kermadec Islands Region/New Zealand with a probability of 68%.
See forecast at M7.6 Quake Strikes Vanuatu Region
As of writing, the FIRE-EARTH FORECAST was filtered out by Google search engines and did not show for common criteria like “Vanuatu earthquake”, “Vanuatu quake”, “New Zealand quake”, “New Zealand Earthquake forecast” and other similar keywords. [Moderator K.]
Posted in earthquake, new zealand earthquake, New Zealand Earthquake Forecast, New Zealand quake, NZ earthquakes | Tagged: Christchurch aftershocks, Christchurch earthquake, Google censorship, Vanuatu earthquake | 1 Comment »
Posted by te2ataria on September 4, 2010
Violent Quake Hits New Zealand’s 2nd Most Violent City
A massive 7.4-magnitude quake struck Christchurch, the biggest city in the South Island.
The quake destroyed buildings, ripped up roads and completely paralyzed the city. Power lines, water and sewage links were cut off.
Port of Lyttelton, about 7 miles from the city center has been seriously damaged, and there were reports of two serious injuries.
Soon after the quake, the looters moved in completely cleaning out shops and other business premises.
A Much Larger Quake to Strike New Zealand
Implication for New Zealand Islands:
- A substantial increase in the frequency of earthquake striking the twin islands.
- More earthquakes with magnitude 6 or larger.
- A marked increased in large explosive volcanic eruptions, especially in the following zones [also includes ‘extinct’ volcanoes]
- Taupo Volcanic Zone
- Bombay Hills
- Auckland volcanic field
- Mount Taranaki
- Mt Horrible volcano
- Mount Taranaki
- Mount Cargill
Worst Case Condition for New Zealand Islands:
Will a magnitude 9.8 (MW) earthquake centered at 42° 00′ 59″ South, 175° 05′ 07″ East herald the end of New Zealand Islands?
- Large earthquakes and massive volcanic eruptions could potentially destroy much of New Zealand structures and claim many lives.
- Earthquake and volcano-triggered waves could also give rise to 40 to 50-meter tsunami that would engulf the coastal areas and low-lying lands throughout New Zealand [could also affect parts of Australia’s eastern seaboard,] compounding the damage.
- A super/mega colossal Plinian/Ultra-Plinian eruption occurring in New Zealand’s North Island simultaneously [or within a short period of time] with a magnitude 9.8 earthquake off the eastern coast of New Zealand could claim many lives.
- Probability of occurrence:
- Event 1. A magnitude 9.8 earthquake striking off the eastern coast of New Zealand with (i) the foreshocks ripping through Auckland, Hamilton, Taupo areas, (ii) the mainshock leveling Wellington, Palmerstone North, Marlborough, Nelson and Christchurch, and (iii) the aftershock causing substantial damage as far south as Invercargill: 85%
- Event 2. A super/ mega colossal Plinian/Ultra-Plinian eruption in the North Island: 72% [South Island: 57%]
- Event 1 and Event 2 occurring simultaneously, or within a short period of time: 64 %
Posted in earthquake, new zealand earthquake, NZ quake | Tagged: Christchurch quake | 1 Comment »