Are you allergic to kiwifruit?
- Anaphylaxis is an acute systemic (multi-system) and very severe Type I Hypersensitivity allergic reaction in humans and other mammals.
- Minute amounts of allergens may cause a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction. Anaphylaxis may occur after ingestion, skin contact, injection of an allergen or, in some cases, inhalation.
- Anaphylactic shock, the most severe type of anaphylaxis, occurs when an allergic response [for example to kiwifruit] triggers a quick release from mast cells of large quantities of immunological mediators leading to systemic vasodilation (associated with a sudden drop in blood pressure) and edema of bronchial mucosa (resulting in bronchoconstriction and difficulty breathing).
- Anaphylactic shock can lead to death in a matter of minutes if left untreated.
- An estimated 1.24% to 16.8% of the population of the United States is considered “at risk” for having an anaphylactic reaction if they are exposed to one or more allergens.
- The most common presentation includes sudden cardiovascular collapse (heart attack, responsible for 88% of reported cases of severe anaphylaxis).
Do you know someone who nearly died because they ate kiwifruits?
In school age children kiwi fruit is estimated to cause about 10% of all the food allergic reactions. Kiwifruit allergy is increasing among children … Sydney Children’s Hospital (Australia)
- Kiwi fruit allergy danger
- Food Standards Agency – Eat well, be well – Kiwi fruit allergy
- Study begins on kiwi fruit allergy rise
- New study identifies kiwi fruit as ‘significant allergen’
- Kiwi fruit allergy strikes under-6s
- The warning signs of kiwifruit as allergen— especially in kids