Zombie Democracy – Apartheid Fort NZ

Welcome to World's Deadliest Tourist Attraction – The Final Destination! Toxic NZ visa priority: Chinese spies, Mossad, assassins, foreign SIS recruits, human & sex traffickers, drug lords…

Posts Tagged ‘PSP’

Urgent shellfish warning for Waikato west coast, Raglan Harbour

Posted by te2ataria on April 28, 2017

Shellfish biotoxin alert: Do NOT eat shellfish from Waikato west coast:

The warning includes Waikato River mouth (Port Waikato) southwards to Papanui Point which is just south of Raglan Harbour and Raglan Harbour.

The Ministry for Primary Industries  (MPI) has detected alarming levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning toxins in the area. They have warned that cooking shellfish does not remove the toxin.

Shellfish biotoxin alert – Waikato west coast

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) today issued a public health warning against collecting shellfish on the Waikato west coast due to Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxins being detected at levels of concern. The affected area includes the Waikato River mouth (Port Waikato) southwards to Papanui Point which is just south of Raglan Harbour. The warning includes Raglan Harbour.

Routine tests on shellfish samples taken from this region have shown levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxins above the safe limit (!) of 0.8 mg/kg set by MPI.  Anyone eating shellfish from this area is potentially at risk of illness.

See a map of the warning

Mussels, oysters, tuatua, pipi, toheroa, cockles, scallops, catseyes, kina (sea urchin) and all other bivalve shellfish should not be eaten.

Note: Cooking shellfish does not remove the toxin.

Pāua, crab and crayfish may still be eaten if the gut has been completely removed prior to cooking, as toxins accumulate in the gut. If the gut is not removed its contents could contaminate the meat during the cooking process.

Symptoms typically appear between 10 minutes and 3 hours after ingestion and may include:

  • numbness and a tingling (prickly feeling) around the mouth, face, and extremities (hands and feet)
  • difficulty swallowing or breathing
  • dizziness
  • headache
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • paralysis and respiratory failure and in severe cases, death.

If anyone becomes ill after eating shellfish from an area where a public health warning has been issued, phone Healthline for advice on 0800 61 11 16, or seek medical attention immediately. You are also advised to contact your nearest public health unit and keep any leftover shellfish in case it can be tested.

Monitoring of toxin levels will continue and any changes will be communicated accordingly. Commercially harvested shellfish – sold in shops and supermarkets, or exported – is subject to strict water and flesh monitoring programmes by MPI to ensure they are safe to eat.

Posted in Tourist Deathtrap | Tagged: , , , , | Leave a Comment »

Global food safety alert: Toxic NZ shellfish warning

Posted by te2ataria on January 7, 2009

Biotoxin Bulletin – Global Food Safety and Health Bulletin # 24 – Toxic Shellfish warning.

Do NOT Consume or Import New Zealand Shellfish.

Toxic shellfish from New Zealand can cause paralysis and respiratory failure within 12 hours of being consumed.

Public Medical Officer of Health in New Zealand reported that levels of paralytic shellfish poison were “particularly high” along the eastern coastline and urged people  to avoid shellfish from the area.

In small quantities,  the toxin can cause numbness and tingling around the face or extremities, difficulty swallowing or breathing, dizziness and double vision.

“In severe cases it can cause paralysis or respiratory failure within 12 hours of a person eating the shellfish.”

This warning pertains to the Coromandel and Bay of Plenty coastline.

Related Links:

Posted in Biotoxin Bulletin, Global food safety alert, New Zealand, red tide, respiratory failure | Tagged: , , , , | 5 Comments »