New Zealand Emergency Health Warnings: Toxic Honey Poisoning
Posted by feww on March 22, 2008
[New Zealand Poisoning Syndrome (NZPS), Health Bulletin # 6. Toxic Honey Poisoning, March 22, 2008]
Do NOT Consume New Zealand Honey!
In New Zealand several people have been treated for toxic honey poisoning. Toxic Honey Poisoning has killed, incapacitated and hospitalized scores of people since 1974.
Ingesting high levels of tutin toxin can result in “vomiting, delirium, giddiness, increased excitability, stupor, coma, violent convulsions” and death.
Consumers, especially pregnant women, are strongly advised to avoid eating New Zealand honey.
A teaspoon of toxic honey can severely affect human nervous system, cause seizures and lead to death. Consumers who develop symptoms of tutin poisoning MUST contact the health authorities immediately. Original Report
Previous New Zealand Poisoning Syndrome (NZPS), Health Bulletins
- Health Bulletin # 5. Food infected with Listeria, March 8, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 4. Sewage contaminated beaches, Feb. 16, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 3. Toxic blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), Feb. 13, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 2. Exposure to Compound 1080 Feb. 10, 2008
- Health Bulletin # 1. Exposure to Bromoethane Feb. 6, 2008