Long legacy of air disasters in New Zealand
Posted by te2ataria on November 21, 2015
7 killed in the latest episode of NZ air disasters
A 2004 study of accidents between 1990 and 2002 found that New Zealand had five times the rate of small aircraft crashes than the US, and four times that of the UK. [NZ Govt Stats]
In the latest disaster that occurred in Fox Glacier on Saturday seven people were killed including six tourists, four British and two Australians, and the [Dutch?] pilot named as Mitch [van] Gameren, 28.
A partial list of ‘significant’ New Zealand air disasters or crashes which killed five people or more:
- May 1938 – Two crew members of a Union Airways Electra that crashed at Māngere, Auckland, were the first people to die on a scheduled air service in New Zealand.
- May 1942 – Five people were killed when their aircraft hit Mt Richmond near Nelson. [New Zealand pilots are mountain blind?]
- June 1942 – Eleven Americans were killed when their aircraft crashed on take off at Whenuapai in Auckland.
- Sept, 1942 – Hudson bomber crashes near Tasman Bay, six people were killed.
- 1942 – Liberator bomber crashes near Whenuapai, killing 14.
- August 1944 – Two Hudson bombers disappear, killing 15.
- August 1948 – An NAC DC3 freighter hit a ridge overlooking Tory Channel killing two crew.
- October 1948 – Thirteen people were killd when an NAC Electra flew into Mt Ruapehu.
- March 1949 – Lodestar flying from Auckland crashed on landing approach at Paraparaumu, killing all 15 onboard.
- Mar 18, 1949 – NAC Lodestar crashes on approach to Paraparaumu, 15 killed.
- Nov 21, 1961 – Aero Commander crashes into Mt Ruapehu, six killed.
- Feb 12, 1962 – Dragonfly crashes in Fiordland, five people were killed.
- Jul 3, 1963 – NAC DC3 crashes in the Kaimai Ranges, killing 25.
- Mar 19, 1979 – Cessna crashes near Turangi, six were killed.
- November 1979, an Air New Zealand DC10 crashed on Mt Erebus in Antarctic, killing all 257 passengers and crew.
- Dec 9, 1982 – Helicopter crashes at Turoa skifield, Mt Ruapehu, killing five.
- Jan 2, 1986 – Cessna crashes on takeoff near Picton, killing seven.
- Oct 4, 1986 – Cessna hits powerlines and crashes into sea in Tory Channel, killing eight.
- May 12, 1988 – Piper crashes into hills near Wanganui, killing nine.
- Feb 14, 1989 – Helicopter hits power lines over Shotover River and crashes, five were killed.
- Aug 8, 1989 – Britten-Normander Islander crashes between Milford Sound and Wanaka, killing 10.
- Dec 39, 1989 – Two Cessnas collide over Milford Sound, one crashes, killing seven.
- Oct 25, 1993 – Nomad 23 crashes near Franz Josef Glacier, killing nine.
- Oct 29, 1994 – Helicopter crashes near Fox Glacier, killing seven.
- Mar 29, 1995 – Beechcraft crashes near Hamilton, six were killed.
- June 1995 – Ansett New Zealand Dash 8 crashes near Palmerston North, four killed.
- January 3, 1997 – Cessna crashes near Queenstown, six killed.
- January 29, 1996 Cessna Caravan crashes near Picton, killing five.
- Aug 19, 1998 – Cessna 402 crashes in Foveaux Strait, five killed.
- Apr 12, 1999 – Helicopter crashes at Lake Poteriteri, five killed.
- Apr 18, 1999 – Cessna floatplane crashes in Fiordland, five killed.
- Mar 8, 2000 – Helicopter crashes at Manapouri, killing six .
- Jan 19, 2001 – Cessna 207 crashes in Fiordland, killing eight.
- Jun 6, 2003 – Piper Chieftain crashes near Christchurch Airport, eight were killed.
- November 2008 – Airbus A320 crashed into the Mediterranean sea killing everyone onboard.
- September 4, 2010 – Fletcher FU24-95 crashes near Fox Glacier air strip, nine dead.
Related News Links:
- Five NZers given no hope of surviving plane crash
- Airbus the largest New Zealand-owned aircraft to crash
- Small aircraft accidents
- Air New Zealand Flying Coffin Crashes in the Mediterranean
- One mid-air near-miss every 3 weeks
- Another NZ Joke …
- Air New Zealand Exposes 84 to Potentially Fatal Virus
- How Air New Zealand Killed 257 People …
- Another Air NZ Flying Coffin Catches Fire Mid-air
- Another Air New Zealand Flying Coffin Forced to Land
- Flying Air New Zealand?
- Air NZ receives $76m ‘crash cash’
- Flying Coffins
- Top 10 Most Dangerous Airlines in 2009/2010
- Proudly Killed in New Zealand [Most recent toll only!]
- 10 Worst Places
- New Zealand Death Clock
- New Zealand Air Crash Kills 9
- Pilot Error Downed Air New Zealand Airbus!
- Another Near Miss For Air NZ Flying Coffins
- Sick as … Air New Zealand!
- Best News of the Day for the Environment!
- Flying Coffins
- Bend Over, Spread Your Legs and say Baa . . .
- NY Widow Sues kiwi Crash Pilot Company Posted on October 3, 2009
- kiwi piloted helicopter in NY air crash Posted on August 9, 2009
- Another Poorly Trained NZ Helicopter Pilot Crashes Posted on May 21, 2009
- Faulty Plane and/or Incompetent Pilot Kill 9, Including 4 Tourists, 1 Immigrant and 1 Aussie Instructor Posted on September 11, 2010
Another NZ Pilot Downs His Helicopter Posted on January 25, 2010
- NZ Military Karma Zaps 4 Personnel on ANZAC Day Posted on April 25, 2010
- Was the pilot killed because he preferred helicopters to fixed-wing aircraft, or tipsy while flying? January 14, 2010